Sat, 02 Mar|
Llanthony Priory car park
'Next steps' navigation
Build up your skills
Time & Location
02 Mar 2024, 09:30 – 15:00
Llanthony Priory car park, Llanvihangel Crucorney, Abergavenny NP7 8DQ, UK
About the event
What do I need to know?
This event is for people who are already familiar with*:
- describing the features of an OS map
- using features on the ground to work out where they are on a map
- turning the map in the right direction
- estimating distance on a map
This event will build on these skills and:
- Explore the differences between lowland and hill/moorland terrain
- Focus on how to read contour lines
- Introduce compass techniques
- Explore a lesser known but stunning part of the Brecon Beacons.
You don't need to be super fit or speedy but you should be able to walk at least 8km/5miles, be comfortable moving over uneven ground, up and down steep hills and over a stile or two. Wear supportive, grippy footwear, trousers/leggings, bring layers, waterproofs, lunch and drink. If you have any questions about what to bring, please get in touch. Maps and compasses will be provided but if you have your own you are welcome to bring it.
Free parking at Llanthony Priory car park (this can be busy - car sharing is strongly recommended!)
For those wishing to camp the night before/after, there are campsites in the village.
There is NO signal in the valley - if you need help with directions please contact Siân before 1/03/2024 at 8pm.
Please arrive in plenty of time for a 9.30am start
- Ticket type
Next steps navigator
+£1.13 service fee+£1.13 service fee