Fri, 05 Jul|
LOVE HER WILD: Wildlife wonders 2024
A nature adventure tour of south Devon
Time & Location
05 Jul 2024, 18:00 – 07 Jul 2024, 15:00
Plymouth, Watery Ln, Plymouth PL6 7BZ, UK
About the event
- marvel at marine wonders on our snorkel safari
- get to know other Wilders in comfort in our bunkhouse
- expand your nature knowledge with a 'wild places' workshop
- see landscapes come to life on our guided hike
- view 'behind the scenes' in a Dartmoor smallholding
- enjoy a refreshing wild swim
Join an adventure with a difference – touring beautiful south Devon to learn about the variety of landscapes, habitats and species and consider how we can adventure responsibly!
Once you've arrived in our bunkhouse on the beautiful Tamar estuary on Friday night, we will kick off with a wildlife workshop before we snuggle up to be fully rested for the excitement ahead. On Saturday, we will visit Wembury Marine Centre for a snorkel or rockpool safari to discover the amazing marine wildlife! Our qualified guide will kit us up and introduce techniques before we set off adventuring. The cost of our safari goes back into the fantastic work of the Devon Wildlife Trust, a conservation charity dedicated to protecting this special place. After drying off, we will spend time enjoying the coast before heading off to our bunkhouse. Back at base, we will all chip in to cook a hearty dinner and enjoy eating together before our second workshop.
On Sunday, we will venture up to Dartmoor National Park for an exclusive tour of a smallholding which hosts the local community composting scheme. We will have the chance to help our host by getting hands on with some tasks. From there we will set out on a guided hike exploring the landscapes, heritage and wildlife of Dartmoor. A refreshing wild swim will send you home mid-afternoon feeling relaxed with new found knowledge of nature and inspired to take action for its future.
As always with all Love Her Wild adventures, we will work together always putting an emphasis on being a supportive, team. Bring a positive, flexible outlook and be prepared to learn, share and go with the flow! Our adventure will take us on a tour of 3 main locations around south Devon: Wembury, Lopwell and Mary Tavy. Everyone will be responsible for getting themselves around and we strongly encourage car sharing to reduce costs and our environmental impact.
Things to consider:
- You do not need snorkelling experience but must be able to swim at least 50 metres and will need to sign a disclaimer before taking part.
- All snorkelling equipment will be provided but you will need to bring a swimming costume, towel, warm clothing, medication/inhalers and rash vest/beach shoes/wetsuit boots (if you have them).
- You don’t need to be super fit or speedy but you should be able to walk at least 8km over hilly terrain carrying a day bag.
- Saturday dinner (jacket potatoes) will be provided but please bring food for Friday dinner, 2 breakfasts and 2 packed lunches (full cooking facilities are available in the bunkhouse).
- A suggested kit list will be provided and some items may be available to hire upon request.
- Participants will be responsible for driving themselves between activities. We encourage car shares to reduce the environmental impact. A Facebook event has been set up for this.
- All activities are weather dependent and adaptations will be made if necessary. If the conditions are unsuitable for snorkelling we will do a rockpool safari instead.
*** LHW are a not-for-profit that focuses on keeping pricing as low and accessible as possible. Because of this, bookings for this event are non-refundable and non-transferable. ***
1 person - includes 2 night accommodation, Saturday night dinner, snorkel/rockpool safari (all kit and tuition included), wildlife workshops, smallholding tour, guided hike and talk, LHW Adventure Leader supporting you before, during and after the trip.£260.00+£6.50 service fee