Sat, 09 Jul|
LOVE HER WILD: Wildlife wonders
Nature adventure tour of south Devon
Time & Location
09 Jul 2022, 09:00 – 10 Jul 2022, 15:00
Wembury, Wembury, Plymouth PL9, UK
About the event
- socialise with other Wilders in comfort in our Dartmoor bunkhouse
- marvel at marine wonders on our snorkel safari
- expand your nature knowledge with a wildlife workshop
- see landscapes come to life on our guided hike
- view 'behind the scenes' in a Dartmoor smallholding
Join an adventure with a difference – touring the wonderful wildlife in beautiful south Devon! We will visit Wembury Marine Centre for a snorkel safari to discover the amazing marine wildlife! Our qualified guide will kit us up and introduce snorkelling techniques before we set off on an underwater adventure to discover and identify marine life. The cost of our safari goes back into the fantastic work of the Devon Wildlife Trust, a conservation charity dedicated to protecting this special place. After drying off, we will spend time enjoying the coast before heading off to settle into our bunkhouse. Our base is set on the southern fringes of Dartmoor National Park which makes it the perfect start point for an evening wildlife workshop which will extend your nature knowledge with activities and observations.
On Sunday, we will venture up to the west side of Dartmoor National Park where we have arranged an exclusive tour of a Dartmoor smallholding which hosts the local community composting scheme. From there we will set out on a guided hike exploring the landscapes, heritage and wildlife of Dartmoor, discuss how they have changed over time and look ahead to their future. You’ll head home mid-afternoon with new found knowledge of nature and inspired to take action for its future.
As always with all Love Her Wild adventures, we will work together always putting an emphasis on being a supportive, team. Bring a positive, flexible outlook to be a supportive group member prepared to learn, share and go with the flow! Our adventure will take us on a tour of 3 main locations around south Devon: Wembury, Harford and Mary Tavy. Everyone will be responsible for getting themselves around and we will encourage car sharing as we visit each location to reduce our environmental impact.
Things to consider:
- You do not need snorkelling experience but you must be able to swim at least 50 metres and you will need to sign a disclaimer to this effect before taking part in the snorkel safari.
- All equipment will be provided for the snorkel safari but you will need to bring a swimming costume, rash vest, beach shoes/wetsuit boots (if you have them), towel, warm clothing for afterwards, any medication.
- You don’t need to be super fit or speedy but you should be able to walk at least 8km over hilly terrain carrying a day bag.
- Please bring your own sleeping equipment and food (cooking facilities are available in the bunkhouse). A suggested kit list will be provided and some items may be available to borrow upon request.
- Participants will be responsible for driving themselves between activities, although we will try to coordinate car shares to lessen the environmental impact.
- All activities are weather dependent and adaptations will be made if necessary.
*** LHW are a not-for-profit that focuses on keeping pricing as low and accessible as possible. Because of this, bookings for this event are non-refundable and non-transferable. If in the case Covid restrictions should prevent the event from happening, you will receive a full refund minus the £25 camping and card processing fee***
1 person - includes 1 night accommodation, snorkel safari (all kit and tuition included), wildlife workshop, smallholding tour, guided hike and talks, LHW Adventure Leader supporting you before, during and after the trip.£170.00+£4.25 service feeSale ended